Wednesday, April 18, 2007

mystery bunting from the past




Anyone got any ideas on this bunting? A female of indertiminate species. I took the photos at the Long Valley in April 2003.

Chestnut-eared was mentioned by local birders at the time, but this is like no Chestnut-eared I've seen in Japan.

I am guessing that this is a 1st winter or female 'sordida' or 'spodocephala' Black-faced Bunting..with an outside chance of a Ist year Yellow-browed Bunting, though I would have thought it would have some yellow on the brow by early April if it were the latter species.

I have only seen one 1st winter Black-faced of those two races, the first UK record, the others have all been males here in Japan.

I have also never seen 1st year Yellow-browed Bunting, only adult males and females.

No comments: